Sunday, August 4, 2019

Seattle Bound

After a physical, some CPR training, and some particularly absurd Passport shenanigans, I am finally northward bound.

Funny thing about the passport.  I was told I would need a federal ID in order to get inside a Federal building during training so as to get my new other federal ID.  In other words, I needed ID to get ID and a passport was about all that would cover it.

I was told this 3 weeks before I needed the passport.

Now, expidited passport services through the mail are 2 to 4 weeks, so this seemed risky.  Fortunately, there is passport agency building right in San Francisco. 

Unfortunately, they will only print you a passport if you have proof that you plan to leave the country within two weeks.  I called and asked if needing it for a federal job counted as needing it within 2 weeks, but the man on the phone informed me that only works if the job is taking me out of the country.

Two weeks later, and a week before I was supposed to depart, I was seized by the sudden urge to plan a trip to Canada.  So I booked a hotel in Vancouver, printed out the booking as proof of intent to travel, and called to make an appointment with the agency.

Turns out, I nearly missed the window.  I was within the two weeks time for intended travel, but they had no appointments until a week later.  Cutting it close like I always seem to do, I booked the appointment on the first day I could, which was also the last day it would do me any good.

There was some trouble with my booking, some trouble with my payment, and a whole host of other beaurocratic goings on.  After several quick talks with some supervisors and a few instances where they had me take my shoes off to make sure I wasn't dangerous, though, I finally got my passport.

A few hours later, I had to cancel my trip to Canada.  Turns out I can't be in two places at once, and I had booked the trip for the same day my training starts.

At least I can start my new job, though.  Speaking of which, I need to get back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment