Monday, July 8, 2019

Here I go again.

Well.  What can I say.  I'm off doing weird and foolish things again.  I'm in San Francisco, somehow (actually Berkeley, but no one back east knows where Berkeley is).
 
How did I get here?  What am I doing out this way?  Am I safe? Am I warm? Is my belly full?  What happened to the brewery job?  What happened to the job as a professor?  What happened to the Calves?!?!?!

Well.  It's a long story.  But there's enough people wondering what's going on and asking me for updates that I have decided to resurrect the old blog.

I'll be leaving the older entries up with all their anger and naivete and resolution and adventures, but I'll be adding more again as I go.  And what's more I'll be updating a minimum of once per week for the foreseeable future, so that you guys don't have to worry so much.

Firstly, the most important answers: right now I am warm, safe, full, and rested.  I've also had coffee.

I stealth sleep in the back of my HHR panel van (they banished all the RVs from Berkeley).  It's tiny but comfy and I have just enough room to stretch out.  I honestly sleep better there than most of the houses I've slept in.

I eat cheap but good food and supplement it with the plums that are delicious and ripening all over the city.

At least twice a week I make the 20 minute drive out to the ocean for a pleasant dip in the bay followed by a quick shower.

I've learned which places have the clean public restrooms, and I make a point of leaving them cleaner than I find them by way of saying thanks.

I drove cross country (more about that later) and hit the greater Bay area on June the 25th.

Less than two weeks here and I've already gotten callbacks and phone interviews for several jobs I wouldn't mind working.  When I came out this way I didn't have anything more than the say-so of a old friend that, unlike the rust belt of Appalachia, there's work here that pays.  More on that later, too.

Call backs and interviews are all well and good, but we'll see what jobs actually end up on offer.

That's the first and the most important stuff.  I've got a little savings left, and I've got some backup plans.  For now, though, mostly what I have are a lot good wishes, and that heady mix of anxiety and anticipation that seems to suit me.


Stay tuned if you're curious,  and I'll tell you the rest.

12 comments:

  1. Dear True Thomas,

    You are a foolish man. One I love and miss and wish the best for. Last we talked you mentioned you lacked stories to tell and how that made you sad. Well, good form making new ones. I hope your bad times were left behind you and that the road ahead is long and scenic. You always appriciated the longer ones best.

    Your friend always, Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm definitely back in the business of making stories.

    Thank you, Hope. Love and good wishes. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas Ladson! What the hell are you doing in my neck of the woods!! Get out of town! And shut the front door - of your car!! Hahaha. Glad to hear you're enjoying an adventure. You should come visit us in Oakland sometime if you like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck cousin! Rooting for you always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update(s)! Looking forward to hearing more! We wish you safe travels on your journey & lots of coffee! ☕️ 😂 May your adventures fill you with joy & wonder! Love & best wishes, CCT!💖😃 sue, nick & jae xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom,

    Glad to hear you are well. We haven't spoken in years but I always appreciated your spirit of momentum.

    If you've got a mind to...check out the docks for the Mathew Turner or some of the other boats. Deckhands get live aboard and it would be another fine story in your overflowing bag of tales.

    Best,
    Mighty Joe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom,
    I think of you every now and again and send prayers your way. I admire your courage and honesty. I hope you find peace and true joy. God Bless❤️🙏🏻

    Shontel Sperl (your cousin Patrick’s ex-sister-in-law 😋)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear old friend you've always been the most adventurous person I've ever met. A person that I knew was destined for bigger and better things. I hope that you find something better out on the coast. I'm here in Pittsburgh and unfortunately will be here until the first day of the future since I have two little people that need me. I envy your courage but I know that it doesn't come without a price. I said it before but I truly do mean it I wish I could have been there when you needed something these past few hard years. Be well and be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, not to worry, I'm doing just fine these days. There's work out here and I've been feeling pretty at ease. :)

      Delete