Friday, July 19, 2019

Alaska Bound.

At this exact moment I'm sitting on a park bench in North Berkeley.  I've just had a late morning coffee, so I'm in particular good spirits.  It's tilting towards noon, and, like always, I'm trying to get a bead on how I got here.

To sum up, I basically left Frederick because the thought of starting over again was a depressing one.

I aimed for San Francisco because of a wayward friend who told me that the work was good and plentiful, even if it meant sleeping rough.

I had a little bit of savings from my time at the brewery even after buying the van and fixing my teeth.

I had a fallback plan. A cousin out in Idaho would have come to find me if the money had run out, and he was fairly sure he could get me a job working the fracking rigs if I wanted it.

Now, I didn't really want to spend my days fracking.  It's a temporary solution to a permanent problem, but it was nice to know I wouldn't end up a beggar.  Still, it would have been an odd place for an environmental student to end up.

All that is no longer a worry, though.  I've officially been offered a spot as a fisheries biologist sailing the Bearing Straight and the Gulf of Alaska. 

It's not going to be easy by any stretch.  I had just enough biology credits to qualify, and I'm going to have to study pretty rigorously to pass the training.

The training is paid, but between renewing my passport, getting a physical, and picking up CPR certification, it's going to get a little bit expensive before I can even report for duty.

I've got a dozen people, though, who will float me a small loan if I need it.  I hate borrowing any money for any reason from anybody, but I should be able to squash my internal anxieties for a few weeks if I know I've the means to pay it off with my first paycheck.

I feel like I can handle the necessary studying.  After my 18-credits-of-Calc-and-physics semester I'm not too frightened by such things.

So begging of August I report to Seattle for training.  And if all goes well, somewhere around early November, I'll be shipping off for the North Pacific.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! If you need help please message me if i can ill help always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! Best of luck & safe travels on your new adventures! You carry the love & support of your family & friends!! 💖🎉😃 sue, nick & jae xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Crap! We need to talk ASAP! I’m so jealous that you’re going to be putting to sea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to laugh (smirk). I have an enviro degree and it was brought up by friends and family about him being oilfield and "what about fracking?". Apparently enviro and people involved in or around fracking don't mix. ;-)

    ReplyDelete