Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rule 3 Envoked: A first round of thank you's for gifts and good will.

The last two weeks have been quite exceptional, and much busier than I expected them to be.  The number of people who are offering me gifts, rides, and aid of all sorts to help me in my adventure has been overwhelming.

True to rule 3, I am trying to graciously accept as much help as I possibly can.  I didn't expect to have so many offers, but I suppose I should have expected it, given the high caliber of the people I know. What follows is a list of first gifts and other acts of goodwill people have already bestowed upon me.

My long time friend Josh Lang (whom I met 17 years ago in middle school) and his wonderful wife Kristi have not only offered to let me stay the night of the 25th in their house in Pittsburgh, they are also taking me to the airport the morning of my flight out.  Since it's a Monday, I do believe Josh may have actually taken off of work just to do this for me.  He hasn't confirmed or denied that, but he's a great guy and I certainly wouldn't put it past him.

So thank you Josh and Kristi.

Another friend of mine, Lindsay Kromel (met her 5 years ago in a physics class in college), drove several hours down to the farm from Philadelphia last weekend to bestow upon me good advice, well wishes, and the following gifts:



For those who can't quite see, they are as follows: a lightweight LifeStraw water filter which I intend to use as a backup in case my primary filter fails or becomes damaged, a new pair of wool socks (always useful, don't ever hike in cotton), and a very small bracelet that, when broken, extends out into over 8 feet of emergency use para-cord.  I was planning on bringing extra para-cord from the start, based on some advice years ago from my Uncle Jeff, but now I will be able to carry it in a much more compact and lightweight manner.

Thank you Lindsay. :)

Next up, my cousin Victor (17, in high school, and several states away) took the time to cut, bark, sand, and then wood burn the following walking stick for me.  Then he got it the whole way up to Pa from Georgia.  It's hardwood, is almost 6 feet tall, and has one of my favorite walking poems carefully burned into it in a spiral around several feet of it's middle section.  The hat is there to help with scale.


I'm not sure just yet how to get it out west with me.  I doubt they'll let me take it on the plane, so I am going to see about mailing it.  If it can't be mailed, I intend to pick it up on my way through Pittsburgh so I can at least carry it with me the last thousand miles or so.  More on this later.  Regardless, it is by far the finest walking staff that I have ever owned.  

Thank you Cousin.  I'll put it to good use.

Last up (for this post, anyway) are David Chadwick & Gina Pace.  They barely know me.  We met once this past spring at their niece's college graduation.  I met their niece (Evelyn Erickson) in college about 4 years ago.  Evelyn put me back in contact with them seeing as they live out near Seattle.  Not only have they offered to pick me up at the airport when I land, they have also offered me their home for a night, and even a ride all the way out to Lake Ozette near Cape Alava.  As such, these two almost-strangers have made it possible for me to start my trek all the way out at the Pacific Ocean, instead of settling for the Puget Sound.  

I must stress that it is NOT a short drive from Seattle to Lake Ozette, but they offered me a lift anyway.  I am quite overwhelmed by this generosity.  

So thank you David, and thank you Gina, and thank you too, Evelyn, for setting this up.

I think I might be writing quite a few more thank you posts in the future, as well.  I have received what must be dozens more messages from family and friends offering places to stay, contacts out west, hand made gear, and donations for gear that can't be hand-made.  I, in fact, just received a few more of these messages while I was typing this.  In addition, I haven't even started thanking my Cousin Pat and his family for what they have offered me (that's going to need a whole post to itself at least).

So thank you all once again.

More posts to follow soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment