Sunday, October 6, 2013

Boise Recap 3 (Sept 24rth)

I awoke the next morning with more stiff muscles and kinked spots than I expected.  On my own, I had been waking up a few times a night to shift positions usually due to the cold nights.  At Sherry's, it felt like I didn't move all night long.  Some quick stretches sorted me out though, and Sherry put on some fine eggs with omelette vegetables for breakfast.

Nikki was, unfortunately, unable to meet me as planned that morning due to a last minute Doctor's appointment.  So (after another long and excellent conversation with Sherry), I took Gus for a walk, put him back in the house, and set off towards the Gernika and the museum on my own.

I made some stops at a Post Office and a bookstore; I finally mailed back my bear canister, and I got myself a new travel log. Then I hit the Gernika. 

I ate three full lunches before I left.  I had a lamb grinder, a local beer, a solomo pork sandwich, a chorizo sausage and two orders of something unique called croquetas.

There were peppers and onions on just about everything, french rolls in abundance, and cheese and mushrooms with the grinder.

The croquetas, they told me, take days to make.  If I recall correctly, they cook down chicken, onions, cheese and possibly a few other things for hour after hour until it's all a single, smooth consistency similar in both texture and appearance to mashed potatoes.  Then, just before serving, they roll it up into little bite sized balls and deep fry it.  They are both fattening and delicious.

Noticeably wider in the middle now, I walked down the block to take a tour of the museum.

It was a smallish Museum, well kept, with some very excellent exhibits.  I learned quite a bit about the Basque homeland and how many of them eventually immigrated to Boise.  The number of different sports they invented surprised me, and I thought the photos of the Ellis Island immigrants were particularly moving.

My museum tour done, I returned to Sherry's, picking up a bottle of wine and a few deserts by way of saying thank you.  Another nap and some writing and the day was all but done.

As the evening wore on, Sherry returned from a busy day of her own with a few Gyros in tow.  We spent the evening the way we spent the morning, eating and talking, this time about energy systems, movies, motivations, debts, religion, and a huge host of other things.

I accepted another night's stay from her and went to sleep well contented. 

(Sherry ran my things through the laundry at some point, as well.  I really couldn't have asked or hoped for a better host.)

No comments:

Post a Comment