Thursday, October 10, 2013

Heading for Idaho Falls Recap 1(Sept. 25th and 26th)

Sherry made me another fine breakfast.  I tarried late through the morning and at about 10:30 I hit the road.

Now Boise is a fine town for biking in. It has paths and parks and bike racks all over the downtown.  I soon found out though, that it's a very hard town to bike out of.

I was trying to avoid the freeway if I could.  I found a bike path down South Federal Way that took me about as far as Gowen Road before it petered out.

Gowen took me to South Eisenmen which led to West Eisenmen which, according to google, was connected via a dirt road to Kuna Mora road.

Turns out that dirt road was not only fenced off and gated, but had actually been disced under.  It had been done so recently that the disc was still sitting there.  So I back tracked and I looped around.

Things were further complicated by occasional rain showers and back roads that were ribbed like washboards.

Eventually, after two days of travel, sleeping in two barns on account of rain storms, a lot of meandering, and a brief meal in Mountain Home, I finally arrived on Route 20 and set off properly for Idaho Falls.

(The first barn was mostly abandoned, very comfy, and sheltered me from a very long and heavy downpour.  The second barn was definitely in use, rather open and drafty, and was the best I could find amidst the darkness and intermittent rain bursts.  It sure beat getting rained on, though, so I tacked a thank you note and a ten dollar bill to an indoor post before leaving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment