Wednesday, October 30, 2013

So here we are. (Oct 30th)

I will most likely be crossing the Idaho border today.  Against all wisdom and advice I am heading across Wyoming.  I've picked up route 30 and like an old friend I greeted it well. 

Route 30 goes through my hometown. It goes 15 miles north of the family farm.  It's taken me in the past to good memories in Pittsburgh with Tall Josh and Kristi.   It's taken me with brother Trujillo and the Mandrake towards New York, the Jersey Shore, and back.  Route 30 knows the way to the homes of my decade long friends Brad the Troll, Breton Claycomb,  Ian Gayman, and Russell Nycum.  I miss you guys.

It's just over two thousand miles to my home in PA along route 30 and I've just over a thousand dollars left in the budget. I'm not sure exactly how the budget was spent thus far, seeing as how I lost my first black notebook, but after the gear that I bought it seems about right. This leaves me with about 50 cents a mile which is less than I have been spending so far (minus the gear of course).  I don't think the money's going to run out.

I've got the scent of home and a straight road ahead of me.  I've got old devil winter breathing down my back, (and he's another old friend of mine).  I've got a bivvy sack good to 30 below, four layers of wool, and a pair of tires that no longer go flat.

Everyone I talk to says that Wyoming is a bad idea this time of year.  If the wind and the weather is even slightly with me, though, I'll be over the river by mid November and home in less than 40 days.  If it's against me, I doubt I'll make it through at all.  Either way, I think that Wyoming and Nebraska are going to be the telling States. Either I'll break the back of this thing that I'm doing, or the Great Plains will break me of the want to keep going.

If I do have to call it in and take a train, I think that's going to be alright. I may have played in the Mountains for so long that I've let winter catch up with me.  If I had it to do it over, though, I do it the same.

See, the truth is I feel good, I feel happy, and I feel peaceable. Somewhere along the line I got what I came for out here. Now, I just aim to drive it home.

The next few posts are likely to be often but short. I've got a lot of riding to do and a short amount of time if I want to get clear before Wyoming becomes truly impossible.

Wish me luck; I'm going to need it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment