Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cousin Pat and Brandi (a brief recount)

On Sunday, September the 29th I reached Cousin Pat's place in Idaho Falls and didn't leave again until Saturday, October 19th.

I spent time with Brandi and the kids; getting to know them and playing whatever games the kids invented. 

I went hunting and horseback riding for a week with Pat and his buds, building fires and cooking prairie grouse; then teaching the kids how to do the same when Brandi and they came up to meet us.

Brandi is a wonderful host and a fantastic cook.  I did what I could to help around the house, fixing small things and helping with the dogs and horses.  I did a bit in the garden, finished painting a bit of their deck, and tried to help a bit with the kids.

Brandi doesn't talk overmuch, but has a beautiful smile.  She's hard to read, especially at first (I honestly don't know how Pat knows when he's done something right or not), but a talk with her sister and a really wonderful thank you card dispelled any doubts I had as to whether she liked my presence or was merely being polite.  It's something when someone prone to being reserved goes out of their way to tell you how much they appreciate you.

Cousin Pat is as ornery as ever, yet somehow marriage seems to suite him.  The man gifted me a pair of boots, a pair of jeans, a hat, some field specs, and then forged me a kukri knife out of an old leaf spring.  I had to leave the hat behind as I couldn't figure out how to pack it.  I'll be back for it someday.

All in all they fed me, housed me, gave me gifts, and cured me of any loneliness I might have been feeling. 

I didn't write much during that time.  I mostly seem to write when I'm alone.  People are, in the end, worth more to me than words, I guess.

It felt like a place that was fast becoming home.  Even more so as I was glad to have a bit of work to do.

It was hard to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment