Friday, November 22, 2013

Nov. 22nd.

I'm still in Illinois friends.  I waited the better part of the last two days for the storms to pass.  I read two novels cover to cover sitting in a bookstore and later a library.

The rain let up last night about seven or eight and I biked long through the fog and mist (some 40 or 50 miles extra miles in the eerie gray oblivion).  I often could barely see the road, but the path was easy, there was no traffic, and the night felt warm. 

I made the last town before the border, Hoopeston it's called, and I would have kept going but I ran into a hitch.  I have finally worn the rubber of my tires clean through. 

There is a hole the size of a quarter in my rear tire now.  I can see the hard "tuffy" strip poking through but still protecting the tire from a blowout.

I have seen no bike shop for at least 100 miles and it was another 50 miles to the next one in Layfayette, Indiana.  So I have decided to turn south some 23 miles out of my way to reach a closer shop in Danville.

The rain caught up with me, though, in the wee hours of the morning, so I took shelter in a small park in Rossville Illinois.

I was woken this morning by the mayor of Rossville.  He brought me coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment