Monday, November 11, 2013

Nov. 9th, 10th, and today.

After my mighty 150 mile run, I took the next day easy (some 60 miles), ate plentifully, and went to sleep early.  I might have gone further but my chain developed a slackness I was unable to correct.

Yesterday, (Nov 10th) the wind was sometimes with me and rarely against.  I pulled 120 miles exactly (marker 250 to 370).  This put me in the little town of Duncan just a few miles from Columbus Nevada.  It was a good day.

I would have left the state today (Nov 11th) giving me 4 sleeps in Nebraska; however the weather took an abrupt shift.

The cold north wind made itself known.The temperature dropped from about 50 degrees to near 11 with the wind chill.  Even sitting in this cantina in Schuyler, I can feel the cold seeping in through the glass on the doors and windows.  Makes me shiver.

The forecast said it was coming so I took the day to get my bike tuned up (two broken spokes and a new chain) and then called it quits after a hard fought 25 miles.  The wind was brutal even as a crosswind, and absolutely devastating when it was against me.

I just ate some giant tamales, cooked in the husk and am looking forward to my bivvy tonight.  There is something very wonderful about being out in the freezing cold, yet being warm and comfy.  It makes it easy to hibernate.

I'm not worried about being cold tonight with all the wool and the sleep sack I'm packing, though I may not rise as early tomorrow.

The wind is supposed to die down considerably tomorrow and by Wednesday it will warm up to about 50 and sunny again.  Not sure if I will leave Nebraska tomorrow or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment