Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Different Way (Sept 13 and 14)

(Sept. 13)
So after going to inquire about a permit to take the iron horse trail towards Spokane, I learned that though the trail is well kept up to Ellensburg, as you go further east it turns into a desolate mess of broken bridges, stony slides, and jurisdictional tangles.  The bridge over the Columbia was said to be in no fit state, and no one could tell me which way the alternate routes ran or provide a decent map.  So I took to the paved routes.

I went down Kittitas road, promptly got a flat, learned my patch kit is sub-par, and eventually used one of my spare tubes.  I made it about as far east as I was that morning and then slept (surprisingly well I might add).  I had biked about 30 miles all together and made 0 forward miles.  Oh well, the night was good.

Today (Sept. 14)
I biked some 65 miles and feel great.  I hit Vantage, used the freeway to cross the Columbia (a little hair raising), went uphill to a high plateau at Royal City, went through Othello, and am now back in the sage brush about a third of the way to Connell.  It was about 95 degrees today (and the two previous days) and it didn't even phase me.  My knee is feeling better, too. 

I'm no longer making for Spokane and Missoula.  I have decided to head for Clarkston/Lewiston and hit Idaho Falls from the East instead of the North.  There are more bike shops this way, and I need a better patch kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment