Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Since the Falls (Sept. 16th, 17th, and 18th)

Between the falls and this morning (Sept. 18), I have left the state of Washington. I haven't made many miles each day.  I keep getting caught in the rain.  I received 5 punctures in one tire and 6 in another, all from one five foot stretch of what looked like grass and turned out to be some sort of thorny weed someone had mown off.  I was chilled to the bone by the spray, and the wind, and the wet coming off of Alpowa Summit.  This is supposed to be dry country still.  The weather is being odd.

Somewhere last night I lost my travel book and my state map.  The map I can do without, but the book is sad loss to me. 

Among other things, it held the contact info for Cassie, a fellow cross country cyclist whom I met at the falls.  She was great company for a lot of reasons, not least of which her own stories, and now all I can do is just hope she might read this and send her information to me again.

I'd try to tell some of those stories here, but I don't want to get the details wrong.

All-in-All, though, things aren't too bad. I'm in Lewiston, just over the Idaho border and am looking forward to Pat's place.  My bike is fixed, and I found a warm, dry place to sleep last night despite the rain and the lack of anything you could string a hammock from.

It occurs to me that I would be making better time if I didn't write so much, (I often spend an hour or two each day just typing on his phone) but I think in the end I will be glad to have the record.

Be well all.  More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment