Monday, September 9, 2013

Olympic Peninsula Recap 1 (Ozette to Port Angeles)

So, as promised, today is going to be travel light and writing heavy.

The Recap:
After a car ride and a brief 3 mile walk out to Cape Alava (Aug 27), I began my no-motor journey. It took me 9 days (Aug 28 to Sept 5) to walk across the Olympic Peninsula to Suquamish dock.On the 10th day I crossed the Puget Sound and on the 11th day I walked through and out of Seattle.  Yesterday (Sept. 8th) I rested.

As stated earlier, I walked three miles along the coast the first day, trekked on for about another 12 miles that day feeling good and then got heavily rained on the next day.  According to Google it's about 24 miles from the Ozette trail head to Sekiu, so combined with the 6 or so miles I walked in the park itself, my estimate of 30 miles for the first two days stands. 

I also saw otters.  There were otters in the river on the second day.  You can't forget about the otters.

When I reached Sekiu I was in lower spirits but I left in high moral.  According to the maps I made about 8 or 10 miles (mostly after dark) despite resting most of the day.

The next two days got kinda rough.  I made about twenty miles, give or take, each day, and the night I spent on the sands between the twin rivers was very restful.  None-the-Less, by the end of the second day I had bad blisters on both feet and a persistent pain in my left knee.  (There was about five miles right after the town of Joyce, however, where I was feeling no pain.  I don't know what they put in the coffee at the Blackberry Cafe, but it had me dancing down the road.) Anyway, I made camp in the woods near the Elwa River Road and the next day I quite literally limped the five or six miles into the heart of Port Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment