Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Better Story (Sept. 19 mid-day)

This post has been late in coming.  I should have posted it a while back.

As I've said before, my story is not so hard as many.  I was never beaten, starved, or abused.  I never fought with addiction, or cancer, or had to flee a foreign army.  There are plenty of other stories out there, harder won and better written.

There is no villain in this story, just a misinformed young man with a decade of unfortunate coincidences.  Turns out there are tens of thousands of people like me who got the same wrong advice.

My folks are good folks.  My mother used to mix boiled potatoes into the homemade bread to make sure we were eating right as kids, and my father never missed an opportunity to tell me how proud he was.

You can count the times they let me down or led me astray, and it comes to a total of about twice between the two of them.  In both cases they've worked hard to make up for it, so I hope I've not painted them in too harsh a light before now.

Besides, in the end it's given me something I value very highly: it's made for a better story.

No one who has read all I have written has given me harsh words, yet.  No one has given the folks harsh words either.  This gives me hope that I'm telling it right.

More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment