Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Breaking the Rules (Sept 7th, 8th, 9th, and Today)

This post is going to be a quick overview.  I want to bring everyone up to date, but I have spent way to much time today typing on this phone.

I hiked through Seattle on the 7th along sidewalks and their many bike paths.  I made the 17 miles though my right knee started to ache once more.  I made David and Gina's place about 8:36 pm and leaned heavily on their hospitality again.  The next day I rested, and I set about breaking the rules. 

I bought a bike and all the gear that goes with it.  I threw the no wheels rule right out the window and was geared up by nightfall.  My poor joints need a break, and I am afraid walking won't get me to cousin Pat's place in time for going horseback.  I've never done any long distance bike riding before, so like everything else I jumped in with both feet, ill prepared and with no prior conditioning.  Yesterday and today (the 9th and 10th) I have been biking light miles, resituating my gear, and doing way too much writing. 

I don't now what is average for bike miles per day and I have no idea where each evening will find me.  I'm headed for Snoqualmie Pass and Missoula, Montana.

I may have already failed.  I've broken the rules I started with.  No wings, wheels, or motors has become just no motors.  I feel strangely okay with this. 
For one thing, this means I can pass along all donations.  I will still use them short term to buy gear and food.  You will still be helping me along day to day.  But when this is done, I will add up all the coins and dollars people have sent me, and I will donate this amount to the best ecological non-profits I can find (American Chestnuts included).  This makes me happy.  I didn't want this trip to be about me making money.  It feels better this way.

I hope, whomever you are reading this, that I haven't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment